Thursday, September 25, 2008

Re: [asterisk-biz] Skype for Asterisk.



On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov@evaristesys.com> wrote:
It may just be my profound ignorance of the merits of Skype, but I am
not sure what the benefit here is or why it is desirable or beneficial.

It seems to me that Skype and Asterisk provide elements of VoIP
solutions and service at very different echelons of the business market
and are intended for very different purposes.  In other words, the sort
of people that use Skype and benefit from Skype precisely for what it is
on the front-end side are unlikely to be using Asterisk.

But, I could be wrong, and of course, convergence is never a bad thing.
 It would probably be nice to be able to take Skype "lines" and put
Asterisk features and PBX services on them.

Maybe this is sounding a lot like, "Nobody needs more than 640 kB of
RAM!" -- so, I'll shut up now.  :)

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems
Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
Mobile : (+1) (706) 338-8599


Maybe you can get an idea of the possibilities of Skype here  http://www.vosky.com

I am VoSKY certified, but I don't think they will be around much longer after today's announcement (along with a bunch of other Skype gateway products).  I guess it depends if they plan on charging for licensing like G729 and how much.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro

No comments: